Sunday, July 25, 2010

The second time I've done a portrait shoot (just for practice). It didn't came out quite like I was expecting and there's a lot I have to get used to.

For example, I'm used to shooting as I want the print to look in the viewfinder. I can't do that in portraiture as I need to consider that this print may be going on an 8x10 print. So, I need to shoot with extra space around the subject in order to crop in to an 8x10 print if need be.
I'm also fighting with fluorescent lighting. The two studio shoots I've had, have been overly yellow. Trying to figure out if my studio lights need to be brighter or what the deal is to get rid of that yellow.

I also need to get used to all the equipment, setting everything up and moving quickly w/out damaging anything, haha. I am hoping to practice some more tonight if the kids will go to sleep quickly for me tonight.

On a good note, I did find a way to make these images work and they look fantastic! B&W does wonders for a print, especially one that has more overly yellow lighting than I'd like. My girls did an excellent job posing for me & with the lace these really give the impression of old Hollywood style photos.








4 comments:

  1. love them!
    Wishing you could come and take photos of my dastardly duo! Of course Prissy looked so much better before she chopped her hair off!
    After I publish my book expect to be making an all expenses paid trip out here to visit me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to shoot your kids! I do best with candids but maybe my studio portraiture will be better by than. I'm working on it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. your girls are gorgeous! I love your photos and your portraits are looking good on here. I can't wait to see them get better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Dawn. I can't wait until everything goes more smoothly as far as setting up and such. Practice, practice, practice!

    ReplyDelete